Skip to content

Know the conditions of your Work Authorization

Know the Conditions of Your Work Authorization

Employment authorization in the U.S. varies based on your visa status. While the information below relates to international students in F-1 and J-1 visa status, the limits of your employment authorization may be different if you hold another visa status in the U.S. Contact your ISSO Advisor with any questions about your employment eligibility.

For international students in F-1 and J-1 visa status:

Authorization Conditions
As an international student in F-1 or J-1 status, your work authorization always specifies the dates and hours you are allowed to work. Part-time authorization allows you to work 20 hours per week or less while full-time authorization allows you to work more than 20 hours per week.

Certain types of authorization (including F-1 CPT and J-1 AT) are also employer-specific, meaning that you can only conduct your academic or curricular training at your approved internship or placement site.

Working outside of your authorized dates, more than your authorized hours, or at a site for which you have not been authorized, may be a violation of your visa status with serious consequences to your stay in the U.S.

Part-Time or Full-Time Hours
If you are a student in F-1 or J-1 visa status, you are permitted to work on-campus:

Up to a maximum of 20 hours per week during semesters of required registration (Fall and Spring).
Full-time (over 20 hours per week) during vacation periods (Winter Intersession, Spring Break, and Summer Break if you will return in the Fall Semester).

End of Authorization
Your on-campus work authorization as a student ends on the earliest of these dates:
  • Your I-20 or DS-2019 expires,
  • You complete your program of study, or
  • Your SEVIS record is terminated.