Health Insurance and Immunization
All Fairleigh Dickinson University students are automatically enrolled each year in the University's Medical Insurance Plan administered by UnitedHealth Care This plan was designed for your safety and well-being. You will be charged for the medical insurance plan on your tuition bill.
If you already have medical insurance coverage from another source (for example, through a company that sponsors your study in the United States), you may request a waiver of this fee and un-enroll in the University's Medical Insurance Plan by completing the waiver form and providing proof of comparable insurance. An alternate insurance plan must meet strict requirements in order for you to qualify for the waiver. Waiver request using coverage by an insurance company outside the United States or Travel insurance is not acceptable.
University Medial PlanYou may enroll yourself in the University’s UnitedHealth Care plan and create a personal account by visiting firststudent.com.
- New Students must complete the Two STEP Process
- Current and Returning Students only need to complete STEP 1 – your previous personal account with UHC with your previously created username and Password will remain.
- All students must wait two business days between Enrollment into the insurance plan and access to My Account
This applies to any new student beginning in the Spring 2021 semester and students who are returning to the US after studying remotely for the Fall 2020 semester.
STEP 1: Enrollment
Enroll yourself into the UnitedHealth Care medical insurance by entering your date of birth (mm/dd/yyyy) and Student ID number
– Complete the following information– Check the box for A – Annual (8/15/2020 – 8/14/2021)
– Check the box – I elect to purchase insurance coverage under this student insurance plan. Above are the choices I have made. *
– Type in your full name under Payer Signature
***** By completing this online form you will not be required to make a payment. Your insurance charge of $2163 (Full year) or $1081.50 for students starting in the Spring semester, is located on your FDU account. You must make the payment to Enrollment Services.
Your enrollment verification will appear on the next page and you should print this page for your records.
STEP 2: Create an Account – only for New Students – ***Must wait two business days between Enrollment into the insurance plan and access to My Account.***
– Leave the Enrollment page and return to https://www.firststudent.com/school_page/fairleigh-dickinson-university/home-fdu/
– Click on My Account
– Click on “Create your My Account”
– Create Your Account using your First Name, Last Name, Date of Birth, and FDU ID number or FDU Email address
– Create a Username and Password based on the requirements
You now have access to the UnitedHealth Care website where you may make appointments with participating doctors, submit claims for medical bills, review your prescription plan and search for participating pharmacies, print a temporary insurance card, order your permanent insurance card, and much more.
Please access the Medicat Patient Portal where you will be given instructions on how to complete your medical records.
The Medicat patient portal can be accessed by using the same username and password that you use to access your FDU student account. If you are having technical difficulties accessing Medicat please contact the Help Desk at 973-443-8822.
Medical records are due on the dates as seen below:
- Fall Semester: July 15
- Spring Semester: December 1
- Summer Semesters: April 15
- COVID-19 Vaccine [Note Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson and Johnson are acceptable at FDU]
- Hepatitis B
Important information to remember when submitting the required entrance forms
- Please keep a copy of the completed forms for your personal records.
- Students will not be permitted to register for a class or reside in FDU housing until the health forms and immunization records are completed and received.
- All forms submitted MUST be in English.
- Students who request a medical or religious exemption will be required to have blood titers drawn for Varicella, MMR, and Hepatitis B; and can choose to either have a CXR and/or a QuantiFERON TB gold test performed in lieu of a TB skin test. Please see the relevant State of NJ information. You will also be required to complete the exemption form provided within Medicat and if a medical exemption you are required to have documentation from your health care provider supporting the reason for the exemption.